Monday, February 18, 2013

Fat Tuesday in the French Quarter - Preparations

Posted by Benson


In my last post I mentioned that every year I go down to the French Quarter on Fat Tuesday with a group of my 'Nawlins friends.  Even though I hate loud, raucous crowds, I go because there is something magical about being in a large group of people in themed costumes.

We are by far not the only group of carnival revelers to hit the streets in themed costumes.  Themed costume groups run a wide range from the slapdash to the absurdly elaborate.  Some folks all buy the same packaged costume, some try to create humorous vignettes, and some specialize in a dedicated theme that they practice with ruthless efficiency year after year, like those guys reminding us that we are all going to Hell.  (caption)Their costumes get better and better every year. 


Rather than doing the same thing every year, or going with a boring, off the shelf variety of costume, my group chooses a different costume theme each year and we all take it upon ourselves to craft a costume that fits with the annual theme.  Last year's theme was, of course, post-apocalyptic in honor of the Mayan Y2K.  Thankfully we were able to reset our calendars and the world kept turning.  But if it hadn't I would have been ahead of the curve with my tire armor and titanium spork!


Since I have started doing the Fat Tuesday in the French Quarter game we have also done Arabian Nights, Pirates, and Steam Punk

Don't ask me how the themes get chosen.  There is a process, I'm sure, but it seems to involve a Facebook group, and Facebook just isn't my thing.  I just wait for my neighbors to put up Mardi Gras decorations and then I go and figure out what costume decree has come down from on high.


Now, in year's past this process has worked just fine.  Arabian Nights - Google turban wrapping tutorials.  Pirates - who doesn't have an eye patch and a tricorn hat?  Steam Punk - buy a gas mask, smash a clock, and build a ray gun.  Post-apocalyptic - grab an old baseball bat, some old tires, and an ill-fitting leather jacket and you're good to go.

Actually, I pride myself on doing a pretty darn good costume.  There are those in the group who do it better than me (like Clay, costume guru), but I always like to make my costume one of the best.  So this year I was a little floored to learn that the theme is Gods and Monsters of the Ancient World!


It may seem easy at first (C'mon bra, haven't you been to a toga party, bra?), but there are a lot of factors to consider in a proper Fat Tuesday costume.  First, you need enough pockets for easy access cash, a secret car keys and ID stash, and your emergency buzz-retaining liquor flask.  Second, you are walking around in the French Quarter.  Proper footwear is key.  Sandals just aren't going to cut it unless you want your foot to be immersed in a puddle of...well, let's just say sandals are a bad idea.  Third, I hate carrying accessories.  After three or four hours it gets really old.  If it doesn't have a holster, sheath, or sling I won't go there.  Fourth, this thing has to happen fast and cheap. 


Needless to say, I had to wrack my brain to find something I could pull together on short notice that would beat out at least half of the group's costumes (I will not settle for less), not cost me an arm and a leg, and would meet all of my practical costume requirements!

Greek Gods were not going to work.  Too little clothing unless you do a boring toga, no pockets or bags, and sandals are key to a proper look.  Monsters were mostly out of the question because I had neither time to make an elaborate animal appendage, nor the inclination to fork out the cash for something like that.  Something Celtic or Scandinavian was a strong possibility - good footwear, lots of pouches or bags, simple tunics - but it had to be identifiable as a God and that probably meant carrying accessories.  I thought I was in big trouble.


My saving grace was ancient Mesopotamia!  Lots and LOTS of really cool deities and clothing that primarily consisted of large, square shawls.  There would be lots of coverage, allowing me to wear normal, pocket-filled shorts underneath, it would be striking, and the sewing would be as simple as hemming a few yards of fabric.  I could get away with proper footwear too since most of the attention would be on the flashy, brightly colored shawls.  The only remaining question was which deity to impersonate.



      
After a bit of Wikiwalking I settled on Enki, god of crafts, mischief, water, creation, and keeper of the divine laws.  Enki does not carry anything in particular, and he has the added flair of a quirky carp skin hat and the rivers Tigris and Euphrates springing forth from his shoulders.  It was a match made in the celestial firmament.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment