Monday, May 2, 2011

Artsy Boil Photos

Posted by Benson


I brought my camera to the DGA crawfish boil for fun, but upon seeing that I had a camera, Doug immediately directed me to photograph the event.  Taking him at his word (he is the boss after all) I diligently set myself to creating a photographic record of the momentous event.  All told, I think I took more than 500 photos.  For some reason this was surprising to Doug, who apparently just meant that I should use my camera to take some pictures, as if I had only brought it to show cute photos of my baby.  I think he might have already had a few beers at that point.

You've seen a few of the pictures I took, and I believe a video of the event, taken by Michael Oaks of Sights and Sounds, will be cut together and finalized shortly.  In taking so many pictures, I inevitably wound up playing with the black and white function on my camera.  Staring at the world in black and white eventually had me attempting to take some "artsy" pictures of the event.  Here then for your viewing pleasure is a selection of those pictures of the crawfish boil that I took in the more artistic tones of black and white.

This is John Goodman's house as seen through the balcony at Friends
Here's Mary with her mother, Shirley
Here is a series I've titled "Dramatic Children", although the last two are more like kids watching boats.


This next series I've called "Serious Greg."  I got a few pictures of Greg smiling, but none of them were in black and white.




Finally we have a series that I've titled "Wife With Cupcakes."

Here the subject is thoroughly enjoying her crawfish and is pleased to be photographed, yet note the delicious baby cake near at hand.   
Here we see the subject enjoying yet another baby cake although the mood evoked in this piece is closer to consternation.  It has a darker, more edgy tone.  There is also a slightly Dutch angle to the piece.
I think this final piece has a much more frantic tone.  The slight angle of the window is suggestive of a ship at sea, and the framing gives a sense that the subject is trapped.  Note that we cannot see the subject's eyes in this piece, making her mood somewhat elusive.  Is she concerned, apprehensive, or simply enjoying her cupcake?

No comments:

Post a Comment