Monday, September 8, 2014

High Water Friends CD - Track Three: Hurricane

          In New Orleans, the word hurricane has two meanings. One is a force of nature that when unleashed leaves a wake of destruction in its path. The second is a type of weather.

Hurricane
That delicious drink...
          New Orleans has become famous for both types of hurricanes. Popularized in the 1940s at Pat O’Brien’s bar, the hurricane cocktail consists of rum, fruit juice, and grenadine. Since then, this cousin of the daiquiri has become a staple of the French Quarter. Tourists and locals alike tote the brightly colored drinks around in go cups* up and down Bourbon Street. New Orleans also has a long and brutal history with hurricanes that have threatened its very survival. In 1722, a hurricane ruined the young, makeshift settlement and gave birth to the city we know today. In 2005, a hurricane nearly destroyed the beautiful city. Throughout its history, New Orleans was and is a city living on the edge of Mother Nature.

* for the uninitiated, a go cup is precisely what it sounds like, you can get your alcohol at a bar and take it with you when you leave.

The Go-Cup, one of the greatest things about New Orleans.        
          As a result of this reality, residents have developed a stubborn attitude regarding hurricanes. Rather than flee on the oncoming storm, they tempt fate by staying behind. They prefer the safety of their homes over packing into their cars and driving inland. Drinking and listening to music beats sitting in traffic on the I-10 or in a hotel room in Texas. Hurricane parties have become a New Orleans tradition. People gather at someone’s home and consume copious amounts of alcohol—including hurricanes and then ride out the storm in safety.

The Once and Future DJ
           Composed before Hurricane Katrina, Davis Rogan’s song, Hurricane, effectively captures this mentality. The song, fittingly, barely survived Hurricane Katrina. The master copy of Rogan’s first CD, The Once and Future DJ, disappeared in the floodwaters of the Loyola Avenue post office. Luckily the album survived on the hard drive of the CD’s engineer. In the song, Rogan refers to hurricanes Camille and Betsy, two storms that had threatened New Orleans in the 1960s. In 1965, Betsy made landfall close to the city, breaking through the levees and flooding parts of New Orleans. Camille, the stronger of the two storms, struck Mississippi in 1969, largely sparing the city. Rogan’s lyric, “I’ll stay here in New Orleans with a cold drink in my hand” epitomizes this pre-Katrina mentality. He has described the song as “the last hurricane-themed song before Katrina.” While the devastating hurricane of 2005 has forever changed its context and meaning, the song still encapsulates the spirit and attitudes of New Orleans residents. Nature may occasionally wreak havoc on New Orleans, but its residents will always persevere—with a cold drink in their hands.  




Hurricane

Well you standin’ on the corner with your umbrella in your hand

Standin’ on the corner keepin’ out the pourin’ rain

Umbrella won’t help ya when they hit you with the hurricane

I’m-un-ah buy me a pirogue, lash it to my balcony

It’s a little boat baby, nuff room for you and me

When the water comes to meet us, we’ll float on out to sea

Well they all evecuatin’ -- I ain’t goin’

Some folks ain’t waitin’ -- I ain’t goin’

A Category 7 -- I ain’t goin’

Knock us all to heaven - I ain’t goin’

Well I’m stayin’ in New Orleans with a cold drink in my hand

Well they open up the highway, tryin’ to get the contra-flow

Folks is stuck in traffic got no place to go

But I’m kicking it at my house, I won’t say I told you so

My house lasted through Betsy and it stood through Camille

‘Cause back when they built my house they was buildin’ houses for real

I’m-a stay here on the premises so I can be here to deal

Well I got me my water -- I ain’t goin’

Camp stove and a shotgun -- I ain’t goin’

Do what you oughta -- I ain’t goin’

But I’m-un-ah stay here, son --I ain’t goin’


I’ll stay here in New Orleans with a cold drink in my hand

No comments:

Post a Comment